Thursday, February 09, 2006

"Thank God Almighty. . .I'm Free of Cast!"

Yesterday I got the cast removed from my leg! Thankfully, I am free of that bulky obstacle that made simple tasks such a challenge.

The way one's leg looks after having worn a cast for 5-1/2 weeks is a bit disconcerting. In my case, the skin on my leg and ankle looked all crackled--kind of like a very old oil painting. Michel teased me, saying that I was putting "Vicky dandruff" everywhere because of all the dry and dead skin that was falling off my once hidden extremity. My ankle and lower calf were still quite swollen and the large bruise on the inside of my foot was still there, resplendent with shades of blue, purple, and red. And my first step on that foot was so strange! The bottom of my foot felt numb and stiff, kind of like it had been asleep for the last 5-1/2 weeks! Despite all these changes, I was overjoyed to see my leg and ankle again.

Of course, the healing process is not yet complete. New bone tissue will continue to harden. Over the next months, my body will add more and more bone to where the breaks occurred. Physical therapy will help me restore the strength to my atrophied muscles and a full range of movement to my ankle. Any ligaments that were damaged because of the fall will take additional time to heal, which means my ankle will continue to swell. My skin texture will eventually cease crackling, as the dead and dry skin is replaced by new skin cells. Bruises and redness will disappear. All will be healed and restored in time. What amazing healing machines our bodies are!

So as I embrace this new chapter of my broken ankle saga, I shout with a heart full of appreciation and gratitude:

"Free of cast! Free of cast! Thank God Almighty! I'm free of cast!"

Take care in gratitude--Vicky :o)

P.S.Thanks to Dr. Martin Luther King for his often quoted phrase, which I adapted for my gratitude declaration.

No comments: