"Time is a created thing. To say 'I don't have time,' is like saying, 'I don't want to.'"--Lao-Tzu
This quote is one of my favorites. Even though my life now is not as busy as several years ago, when I was working full time and raising three kidlets with my ex-husband, I still find myself saying "I don't have time." The truth is that I always make time to do the things I truly want to do. So, why do I say I don't have the time?
Exercise is one example of this dilemma in my life. There are days when I think, "I don't have time to exercise today. I'll do it tomorrow." The fact is that I do have the time, I just don't want to put out the energy. For some reason, laying down on the mat and doing my series of stomach exercises and lifting free weights just seems like such an enormous task that will take too much time and energy. Ironically, the actual time is about 15 to 20 minutes tops! And, I am pretty sure that procrastinating wastes more energy than actually doing the exercises. What's really going on?
At some level, I think I'm rebelling. There's some societal/parental voice in my head that tells me I should exercise every day. And the minute my inner child hears that edict, she rebels because she really hates being told what to do. ;o) In addition, my inner child looks at exercise as work--well, any type of exercise that is done within the confines of my apartment. Riding my bicycle outside seems much more like play to her than riding my bicycle inside when it is set up on the trainer. Play is much more fun than work!
Even though I can discipline myself to exercise a lot of the time, I think I will never overcome the struggle with my inner child until I can find, feel, or sense the "want to." How to do that is not apparent just yet. Until then, I will continue to use Lao-Tzu's quote to keep me aware of the real meaning of the phrase "I don't have time" not just in the area of exercise but in all areas of my life.
Take care in gratitude, Vicky :o)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment