Thursday, March 12, 2009

Playing with Postcards


In the last few days, I have been thinking a lot about postcards so I decided to create some. Here is my first one. The title is "Playing with Color Postcard." Yes, for some reason I included the word postcard in the title. ;o)

Much of the time, a postcard depicts a place or point of interest or some souvenir of a person's travels. My postcard seems to depict a spiral of colors both in appearance and in the way I created it. This collage began its life from the middle. Starting with the figure, the snowflake house and the peacock swirls, I just kept adding different blocks of color and melanges of blocks of color as layers. The final touch was the postage stamp.

I find it interesting that while most postcards are rectangles, mine is almost perfectly square. I'll have to figure out why that is. (Does it reflect my need for perfection? Is there anything more perfect than a square? Well, maybe a circle!)

There is also one very illegible word--"fairytale." I didn't discover it, though, until the collage was done and I used my trusty magnifying glass to see what those black scratches actually said. :o)

Postcards provide a rather intriguing way to communicate since they force a person to write either the most important messages or the most mundane. Perhaps postcards were one of the earliest versions of Twitter, lacking only in the instantaneity (yes, that really is a word!) of this present-day communication gadget. Surely most postcards do answer Twitter's question: What are you doing? Or at the very least, they answer: What were you doing when you decided to write?

Now, what was I doing before I decided to write this post?

--Vicky :o)

"Playing with Color Postcard"
Paper Collage
Copyright © 2009 by Vicky Lynn Macchione

No comments: