Monday, March 09, 2009

Job Title: Worrier


The other day I created this collage card trying to use some different materials (an autumn leaf, a maple seed, birch bark) and several disconnected images to see what would come of it. I am not sure it is a very uplifting collage but there is an interesting feel to it. ;o)

I scanned the card and filed it away, not really thinking much about it. Until today. I was reading a book in which this alien species had the assigned job title of "Worrier." As I read about the Worrier and how he/she/it(?) offered all the various reasons and possibilities to do or not to do a particular mission, I thought how well I could perform that job! I am so well versed in worrying that those few times when I was not worrying, I actually felt an empty space inside where the worries usually dwelt. That was an amazing and somewhat disconcerting feeling!

For some reason, as I was thinking about the job of Worrier, this collage card popped into my mind. Perhaps the message of worrying actually creates "the dying mind" pictured here--a mind that can't fully embrace creativity and inspiration when it is preoccupied with all the "what ifs" and all the possiblities of darkness, doom, and disaster. The card also points out that "dreams of day" and "dreams of night" all face the same end: they all pass. In fact, the same outcome holds true for "the dying mind": It too shall pass, along with all those worries that occupied so much of its time.


Now, if I can only embrace the ideas captured in this card; maybe I can finally give up the job of Worrier and find a job title I like much more!

--Vicky :o)

"All Pass"
(Inspired by Jennifer Black,
Somerset Studio, March/April 2006)

Mixed Media Collage Card
Copyright © 2009 by Vicky Lynn Macchione

No comments: