Monday, October 06, 2008

Dreaming Félicia


Félicia would often sleep with us at night. The process went something like this. First, she would jump on the bed and make her way toward my chest. She would climb aboard and position herself just so. Then, she would purr and really immerse herself in the caresses she would insist I give her. Eventually, she would get off--by her own choice or by my persuasion--and position herself at the foot of the bed next to my feet. Sometimes in the middle of the night, I would shift in my sleep and feel this "rock" (she weighed over 20 pounds) at the end of the bed. ;o)

The night we said goodbye to Félicia I had a difficult time sleeping. So the next morning after Michel left for work, I went back to bed and I dreamt of Félicia.

In the dream, I am in bed sleeping, believing that it is October 1 and Félicia is gone. Then, I feel Félicia down at my feet, very carefully creeping near my feet as usual. Her creeping has awakened me and I realize it really is Félicia! I am amazed and ecstatic. I sit up in the bed and start talking with her excitedly. "Félicia, you're here! You're alive! You're all right!" I reach toward her to pet her and at some point she has jumped off the bed and is lying on her back and I see her tail stretched out. I am trying to play with her and pet her at the same time. She is being playful and stays just a bit out of my reach. I keep saying, "Félicia, you're all right!" I know that Michel is coming home around noon that day and can hardly wait to show him that she's alive.

When Michel does arrive home, I try to tell him and show him that Félicia is alive and there with us. He can't see her, so he doesn't believe me! To help him see her, I put a large star that is on a yellow and orange ribbon around her neck. This ribbon necklace is too long for her. The star is quite large and looks like a star you would see on a general's uniform. The ribbon and star remind me of the Olympic medals given to athletes. In the dream, I am hoping that Michel will at least see the ribbon necklace move even if he can't see Félicia. The dream ends there.

I have a Native American friend who once told me that when a loved one's spirit/soul departs, it usually takes about a year before he/she adjusts in the journey to the other side. When you dream of that person, it means that he/she is settled and ready to help you. I find it amazing that Félicia has already come to me in a dream. And, of course, I believe she was only doing what I asked--letting me know she was all right.

As we walked home from the vet that night, Michel said he visualized Félicia standing next to Yoda and the other Jedis from the Star Wars movies, luminescent and ready to be of assistance. I have posted a photo that he created to portray our little Jedi Master.

--Vicky :o)

No comments: