I was watching Oprah yesterday as she was broadcasting from New Orleans and other cities that were hard hit by hurricane Katerina. Oprah said something that really struck me. She pointed out that the people who remain are not "refugees" but "survivors." Think about the significance of those two words. When I think of refugees, I typically think of people who have had to flee their countries because of war, economic misfortune, or persecution. When I think of survivors, I think of people who have gone through terrible disasters--natural or man made--and have lived to tell their stories.
Because of Oprah's show, I did some research on both words. The word refugee comes from the Old French and originally meant "to take shelter, protect." The meaning changed over time and eventually signified "one fleeing home." Originally, the word survivor was more of a legal term and meant "one who outlives another." As the word evolved, survivor was defined as "one who has the knack for pulling through adversity." I love that definition! (If you are interested in the etymology of words, check out www.etymonline.com.)
Technically, of course, the word refugees can be applied to Katerina's victims. However, for me--and what I think Oprah was trying to communicate to her viewers--describing the people who lived through hurricane Katerina as refugees makes them appear as helpless victims who have little hope of returning to their normal lives. Describing them as survivors calls attention to their strengths, their resourcefulness, their ability to make it through adversity. One word creates a sense of helplessness and hopelessness while the other word creates a sense of empowerment, of hope, of pride. These Americans who have gone through this catastrophic disaster deserve our respect, admiration, and support. They are alive; they are doing the best they can in the worst possible adversity; they are truly survivors!
The words we choose to describe ourselves, situations, and others are powerful. They can create impenetrable prisons or open doors to new possibilities. Prisons or possibilities, which will we choose?
--Vicky :o)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment